Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back to School

Yesterday, Josi and Niki started their new school year. I have such mixed feelings when it comes to school. I am a huge supporter of homeschooling. I feel that children learn best in the real world and that institional learning is not ideal. School is a great place to be bullied or be a bully. It's a great place to learn materialism. It's the right place to be if you want to learn how to wear what everyone else is wearing, do what everyone else is doing and say what everyone else is saying.

But . . .

I have met some wonderful parents and wonderful teachers (ALMOST all of them, but there is one that will never teach another child of mine) at Josi's and Niki's school. Most of them do care and have something worthwhile to share with these kids.

I'm happy with the teachers they have this year. Niki has a new educational assistant (Niki has some minor developemental delays) and I think she is going to be good for him. I like how she connected with Niki on his first day.

Josi's teacher is very pleasant and I have heard all good things about him. I loved seeing Josi back with her friends. She is friends with two sisters who seem very sweet and kind. And Niki was back with his best bud too.

Still, every September I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I wonder if we could be doing things differently. In some ways it is very hard to go against the mainstream especially when it involves the lives of people other then yourself. What I decide now has an effect on the rest of their lives. Talk about pressure!

So I will do what I do every year. I will see how it goes. If things go well, then to school they will go and if my children are unhappy we can go back to homeschooling.

ps - I'm pretty sure I worry too much, lol!

No comments: